In the year 2012 alone, the Department for Environmental Protection processed 4,441 complaints. Legitimate complaints are vital to protecting public and environmental health in the Commonwealth.
File a complaint with the appropriate contact from the phone numbers listed below. Since the contact likely has no prior knowledge of the specific complaint, essential information must be provided to best serve the complainant, such as:
- Basic information of complainant, like name, phone number and address (This information will be kept anonymous if the complainant so chooses.)
- Names of responsible party and location(s) of the incident, including the county (Details such as street name and closest intersection or GPS coordinates are most helpful.)
- The nature of the complaint
- The occurrence, frequency and/or duration of the problem (Dates and times are preferred.)
- Other information that may be pertinent to the issue
After compiling the necessary information, contact the division’s regional office for the county in which the complaint resides or call the main Frankfort offices:
For open burning, call 888-BURN-LAW.
For illegal dumping or hazardous waste disposal, call 888-NO-DUMPS.
Other hotlines for typical concerns may be accessed on the Energy and Environment Cabinet hotlines webpage.
If you observe situations that may present an imminent threat to human health or the environment, those emergency situations are handled by the department’s Environmental Response Team (ERT). Please visit the Environmental Response Team website for more information or contact the ERT hotline 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 502-564-2380 or 800-928-2380.