The Kentucky Division of Enforcement (DENF) is pleased to announce the release of the annual report for the 2013 state fiscal year. The mission of the division is to promote a fair, firm and consistent approach to gaining compliance through the resolution of enforcement cases through:
- Conducting administrative conferences;
- Issuing Notices of Violation and Letters of Warning;
- Negotiating civil penalties and Supplemental Environmental Projects;
- Issuing Agreements in Principle, Demand Letters, and Agreed Orders;
- Where agreements can not be reached, referral to Cabinet legal representatives for formal hearings and legal action; and
- Monitoring compliance with these agreements and orders including collection of penalties.
The Division of Enforcement receives case referrals from all twelve regional offices, the
Department’s central office programs, and the Division’s Compliance and Operations Branch. The annual report highlights the activities of the division and reports on successes with resolving enforcement cases during the fiscal year.
Some highlights from 2013 include:
- In FY2013, DENF negotiated 326 agreements-in-principle;
- DENF executed 70 demand letters for resolution of an enforcement case;
- DENF received 114 agreed orders signed by a responsible party, and executed 125 agreed orders for resolution of an enforcement case; and
- the Division of Enforcement received a total of 437 new cases.
The 2013 Division of Enforcement annual report and all previous annual reports can be found at: http://dep-enforcement.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx