The Kentucky Division of Waste Management is pleased to announce the completion of Fiscal Year 2013 Annual Report. This annual report includes highlights and accomplishments for the following branches within the division:
- Solid Waste Branch
- Recycling and Local Assistance Branch
- Hazardous Waste Branch
- Field Operations Branch
- Underground Storage Tank Branch
- Superfund Branch
- Program Planning and Administration Branch
The division continues to implement its core responsibilities of 1) assisting in the minimization of waste generation and land disposal of wastes, 2) working to increase recycling and the beneficial reuse of materials that might otherwise be disposed, 3) continuing the closure and remediation of historic landfills, Superfund sites, hazardous waste sites and underground storage tank facilities, and 4) conducting timely review of permit applications for solid waste and hazardous waste facilities.
Highlights from 2013 include:
- 238 illegal open dumps were cleaned up by counties using DWM grants.
- 891,886 passenger tire equivalents were collected at tire amnesties during FY2013 at a cost of $1,012,737.
- The division developed regulations for the Brownfield Redevelopment Program and has worked with applicants to redeveloped abandoned and underutilized properties.
- During FY13 the division has actively participated in characterizing residential properties adjacent to the Black Leaf Chemical site in Louisville, Kentucky that has lead to the unprecedented decision to clean up over 60 properties in the first half of FY14. As the largest residential cleanup in the state’s history, this is the first step to addressing the impact of this facility and reducing potential residential exposures.
- The State Office Paper Recycling Program served more than 115 agencies in Frankfort and collected 1400 tons of paper through the program. Since its inception in 1993, the program has collected 43 million pounds of waste paper.
This report, as well as previous annual reports can be found at http://waste.ky.gov/Pages/AnnualReports.aspx.