The Kentucky Division of Water is pleased to announce the release of its State Fiscal Year 2013 Annual Report. This annual report includes highlights and accomplishments for the following branches within the division:
- Resource Planning and Program Support Branch
- Compliance and Technical Assistance Branch
- Surface Water Permits Branch
- Water Infrastructure Branch
- Watershed Management Branch
- Water Quality Branch
The division continues to implement its core responsibilities to (1) protect, manage and restore water resources; (2) conduct effective water resources planning; (3) meet federal and state program requirements; and (4) promote better management and communication of data.
Highlights from 2013 include:
- A new state wastewater laboratory certification program became effective Sept. 5.
- In cooperation with the Department for Natural Resources, DOW conducted compliance evaluation inspections of coal facilities with regard to water quality of outfall effluent and receiving streams.
- Field inspectors investigated a total of 1,774 water-related citizen complaints.
- DOW finalized its enhanced Dam Safety Hazard Mitigation Project aimed at evaluating dam hazard classifications.
- DOW is working to reduce risks associated with flooding by regulating activities within floodplains and encouraging flood-prone communities to enroll in the National Flood Insurance Program.
- DOW is working with other states, federal agencies and stakeholders to develop the Kentucky Nutrient Reduction Strategy to identify sources of nutrients in Kentucky waters and develop approaches to reduce nutrient concentrations in waters of the Commonwealth.
The report can be found at http://water.ky.gov/Pages/AnnualReports.aspx.