On May 15, 2014, the Division of Water (DOW) public noticed the proposed issuance of two general permits for coal mining in Kentucky. The public notice will include two new general permits for coal mining: General Permit KYGE40000 for operations located in the eastern Kentucky coalfield; and General Permit KYGW40000 for operations located in the western Kentucky coalfield. These two general permits will replace the current General Permit for Coal Mining (KYG040000) which expires on July 31, 2014.
These two general permits for coal mining include several new water quality-based requirements and other permit requirements. The general permits also mandate the electronic submission of information to the agency such as the Notice of Intent (NOI) for coverage under the applicable proposed General Permit and Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMRs). The Division of Water has enhanced the application process by utilizing an electronic NOI that is completed and submitted online. DMRs must also be completed and submitted online to the agency through EPA’s NetDMR tool. This is the first time these new electronic processes are available for this permit sector.
The proposed general permits, Fact Sheets, and Notices of Intent instructions can be found at:
- Draft Fact Sheet KYGE40000 is located here: http://water.ky.gov/Documents/PublicHearing/Draft%20Fact%20Sheet%20KYGE40000.pdf
- Draft Fact Sheet KYGW40000 is located here: http://water.ky.gov/Documents/PublicHearing/Draft%20Fact%20Sheet%20KYGW40000.pdf
- Draft Permit KYGE40000 is located here: http://water.ky.gov/Documents/PublicHearing/Draft%20Permit%20KYGE40000.pdf
- Draft Permit KYGW40000 is located here: http://water.ky.gov/Documents/PublicHearing/Draft%20Permit%20KYGW40000.pdf
- Form eNOI-KYG04 – Instructions is located here: http://water.ky.gov/Documents/PublicHearing/Form%20eNOI-KYG04%20-%20Instructions.pdf
- Form eNOI-KYG04 is located here: http://water.ky.gov/Documents/PublicHearing/Form%20eNOI-KYG04.pdf
The draft permit, fact sheet and other supporting material are available through the e-Search feature on the Division of Water’s Webpage at:http://dep.gateway.ky.gov/eSearch/Search_Pending_Approvals.aspx?NumDaysDoc=30&Program=Wastewater. Please use Agency Interest ID 35050 to access the information.
The Division of Water will hold public hearings for these two general permits on Wednesday, June 18, 2014 in Room 301D at 300 Fair Oaks Drive, Frankfort, Kentucky. The public hearing for General Permit KYGE40000 will be held at 6:00 p.m. The public hearing for General Permit KYGW40000 will be held immediately following the close of the public hearing for KYGE40000 at approximately 7:30 p.m.
Persons wishing to provide comments on the proposed general permits are invited to submit comments to the Division of Water, 200 Fair Oaks Lane, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601,or by email to DOWPublicNotice@ky.gov. Media questions regarding these general permits should be directed Jory Becker or Peter Goodmann at (502) 564-3410.
In anticipation of public interest in these proposed general permits, the public comment period has been pre-extended and will be open for (45) days. Comments on the two general permits for Coal Mining must be received by July 1, 2014. The commenter should indicate whether the comments apply to the proposed eastern and western Kentucky general permit on the first page of the comments that are submitted.