The Kentucky Division of Compliance Assistance (DCA) is pleased to announce the release of the Fiscal Year 2014 Annual Report. DCA provides services that increase environmental knowledge and change behaviors. DCA improves regulatory compliance, achieves exceptional performance and enhances the quality of Kentucky’s environment and communities by:
- Certifying qualified environmental professionals;
- Helping entities comply with Kentucky’s environmental requirements; and
- Facilitating environmental stewardship.
Despite budget cuts, staff turnover and economic uncertainty, the programs within the division were able to accomplish a great deal through the dedication and hard work of the DCA staff. Some highlights from 2014 include:
- In conjunction with the Division of Waste Management, issuing the first Cleaner Commonwealth Fund Grants for asbestos removal at two brownfields projects;
- Responding to 1,400 assistance requests through the Environmental Compliance Assistance Program for topics related to air quality, waste management, and water. Many of these requests are from small businesses;
- Recognizing nine high school students who express environmental concepts through their artwork by awarding the Eco-Art Awards;
- Presenting the second annual Steve Crosman Award for Outstanding Environmental Professionalism for dedicated and professional service by an operator;
- Providing anytime learning opportunities through self-paced online modules for a number of Environmental Compliance Assistance Program technical topics with new modules developed for Potential-to-Emit, Hazardous Waste Determination, Universal Waste and disposal of household pharmaceutical waste;
- Hosting workshops on brownfield redevelopment funding sources and assisted with applications for brownfield grants; and
- Recognizing voluntary environmental efforts and leadership by individuals, businesses and organizations through the Department for Environmental Protection’s (DEP) Environmental Excellence Awards.
The 2014 report and all previous annual reports can be found at: http://dca.ky.gov/Pages/AnnualReport.aspx.