Grant funds available for watershed restoration

Funds available for nonpoint source pollution control projects

Grant funds are available for projects designed to help clean polluted streams, rivers, lakes, and groundwater and for projects that protect water resources throughout the Commonwealth. Funds aid in watershed restoration projects and watershed plan development as well as other projects that reduce and prevent runoff pollution.

Nonpoint Source Pollution (NPS), also known as runoff pollution, is the No. 1 contributor to water pollution in Kentucky.  This type of pollution accounts for nearly two-thirds of the impaired rivers, streams and lakes in the state. Runoff pollution occurs when water runs across the land and carries sediment, nutrients, pesticides, metals, and animal and human waste into streams, rivers and groundwater. 

The Division of Water administers the federal NPS grants, funded through Section 319(h) of the Clean Water Act. The funds provided by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency can pay for up to 60 percent of the total cost for each project. A 40 percent nonfederal match is required.

The division gives priority to projects involving watershed plan development and implementation in impaired waters, as well as the protection of Special Use Waters (e.g., cold water aquatic habitat, exceptional waters, state wild rivers and federal wild and scenic rivers) with identified threats.

Consideration for the competitive funding requires submitting a project proposal form by May 15, 2015. The division’s NPS staff reviews project proposals and ranks them according to eligibility and priority criteria. The ranking determines if further consideration warrants formal applications. Grant applications are limited to invited entities identified through the proposal process.

The project proposal form, along with supporting documents, can be found at Proposals may also be submitted throughout the year for NPS program staff review and consideration for a future grant cycle.

For questions, contact James Roe at 502-564-3410 or