On May 1, 2015, the Kentucky Division of Water issued the Kentucky Pollution Discharge Elimination System (KPDES) individual Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit for the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government. The issuance is in accordance with Section 402 of the Clean Water Act and its corresponding regulations.
This permit allows for the operation of a MS4 in the urbanized area of the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government. June 1, 2015 is the effective date of the permit. The newly issued permit will replace the current permit, which expired on August 31, 2014.
The MS4 program requires implementation of a Stormwater Quality Management Plan that includes:
- Public Education and Outreach,
- Public Involvement and Participation,
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination,
- Construction- Site Stormwater Runoff Control,
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management in New Development and Redevelopment,
- Good Housekeeping and Pollution Prevention for Municipal Operations,
- Industrial Facility Stormwater Pollution Prevention, and
- Water Quality Monitoring and Reporting
The Division of Water worked in conjunction with stakeholders and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to develop the MS4 permit. The permit’s issuance will ensure continued protection of Kentuckian’s health and their environment.
For more information, please contact Abigail Rains at Abigail.Rains@ky.gov or 502-