The Kentucky Division of Enforcement (DENF) is pleased to announce the release of the annual report for the 2016 state fiscal year. The mission of the division is to promote a fair, firm and consistent approach to gaining compliance through the resolution of enforcement cases through:
- Conducting administrative conferences;
- Issuing Notices of Violation and Letters of Warning;
- Negotiating civil penalties and Supplemental Environmental Projects;
- Issuing Agreements in Principle, Demand Letters, and Agreed Orders;
- Where agreements cannot be reached, referral to Cabinet legal representatives for formal hearings and legal action; and
- Monitoring compliance with these agreements and orders including completion of remedial actions and collection of penalties.
The DENF receives case referrals from all 12 regional offices, the department’s central office programs, and the division’s Compliance and Operations Branch. The annual report highlights the activities of the division and reports on successes with resolving enforcement cases during the fiscal year.
Some highlights from 2016 include:
- In SFY2016, DENF negotiated 215 agreements-in-principle;
- DENF executed 171 demand letters for resolution of an enforcement case;
- DENF received 85 agreed orders signed by a responsible party.
- The DENF received 678 new cases.
- The DENF collected approximately $2.3 million dollars in civil and stipulated penalties.
The 2016 report and all previous annual reports can be found at at this link.