The Kentucky Division of Compliance Assistance (DCA) is pleased to announce the release of the Fiscal Year 2016 Annual Report. Last year we celebrated the Decade of Difference, the 10th anniversary of DCA. We reflected over the accomplishments and considered the future of the division. This year, we are putting that reflection into motion. Our Excellence in Motion shows how our actions reflect our mission. DCA provides services that increase environmental knowledge and change behaviors. DCA improves regulatory compliance, achieves exceptional performance and enhances the quality of Kentucky’s environment and communities by:
- Certifying qualified environmental professionals
- Helping entities comply with Kentucky’s environmental requirements
- Facilitating environmental stewardship
- Assisting with redevelopment of brownfields
The programs within the division were able to accomplish a great deal through the dedication and hard work of the DCA staff. Some highlights from 2016 include:
- The Operator Certification Program administered 842 exams that resulted in the issuance of 250 new or upgraded wastewater licenses, 289 new drinking water licenses and 57 new solid waste licenses
- Responding to 1,428 assistance requests through the Environmental Compliance Assistance Program for topics related to air quality, waste management, and water. Many of these requests are from small businesses
- Recognizing six high school students who express environmental concepts through their artwork by awarding the Eco-Art Awards
- Presented the fourth annual Steve Crosman Award for Outstanding Environmental Professionalism for dedicated and professional service by an operator
- Providing anytime learning opportunities through self-paced online modules for a number of Environmental Compliance Assistance Program technical topics with new modules developed for Potential-to-Emit, Hazardous Waste Determination, Universal Waste and disposal of household pharmaceutical waste
- Hosting workshops on brownfield redevelopment funding sources and assisted with applications for brownfield grants
- The KY EXCEL program celebrated its 10th anniversary this year. We received a proclamation from Governor Bevin declaring the week of June 5-11 as KY EXCEL Member Week. This anniversary was celebrated with the release of an inaugural document to showcase the member successes and benefits to the community. In addition, this year we have put in motion the new KY EXCEL Farm program.
The 2016 report and all previous annual reports can be found at: http://dca.ky.gov/Pages/AnnualReport.aspx.