Kentucky Division of Water 2017 Annual Report Available Online

The Kentucky Division of Water (KDOW) announces the release of its 2017 Annual Report. This annual report includes highlights and accomplishments for the following branches within the division:

  • Compliance and Technical Assistance Branch
  • Resource Planning and Program Support Branch
  • Surface Water Permits Branch
  • Water Infrastructure Branch
  • Watershed Management Branch
  • Water Quality Branch

The division continues to implement its core responsibilities to (1) protect, manage and restore water resources; (2) conduct effective water resources planning; (3) meet federal and state program requirements; and (4) promote better management and communication of data.

Highlights from 2017 include:

  • DOW’s draft 2016 Clean Water Act Section 303(d) list proposes to remove 63 water bodies and stream segments from the impaired waters list. Waterbodies removed from the 303(d) list may indicate improved water quality due to facility upgrades, changes in land use, or successful pollutant abatement projects within a particular watershed.
  • Public water systems in the Commonwealth continue to produce excellent quality water and maintain the downward trend in violations. Kentucky’s public water systems continue to provide safe, reliable drinking water to more than 95% of Kentuckians.
  • DOW conducted 5,271 inspections of which approximately 58% were conducted for wastewater and stormwater permits, with the remaining 42% comprised of drinking water, oil and gas, agriculture, and coal mining sectors.
  • The Environmental Systems Research Institute (Esri) selected DOW and the Department for Environmental Protection out of 100,000 candidates to receive its 2017 Special Achievement in GIS Award at the annual Esri User Conference. This award recognizes the Water Maps Portal for innovative application of technology, data collection, geospatial information visualization, and thoughtful leadership through GIS in local and state government.

The 2017 report and all previous annual reports are available at http://water.ky.gov/Pages/AnnualReports.aspx.

Advertisements