Capacity Development is a state effort to help water systems improve management, finances, infrastructure, and operations so water systems can continue providing safe drinking water consistently, reliably, and cost-effectively.
The Energy and Environment Cabinet (EEC), with help from drinking water stakeholders, recently updated the Drinking Water Capacity Development Strategy (Strategy) to meet the new requirements of the American Water Infrastructure Act (AWIA) of 2018, and enhance the ability to address the training, technical assistance, and financial needs of Kentucky water systems.
With this revised Strategy, the EEC strives to address Safe Drinking Water Act requirements, including::
- Defining the methods or criteria the EEC uses to identify and prioritize water systems most in need of improving TMF capacity.
- Identifying factors at the federal, state, and local levels that encourage or impede capacity development.
- Describing assistance to water systems in:
- Complying with drinking water regulations;
- Developing partnerships with other water systems to enhance their mutual TMF capacity; and
- Training and certifying operators.
- Describing how the EEC will establish a baseline and measure capacity improvements to comply with drinking water laws and regulations.
- Identifying those interested in developing and implementing the Capacity Development Strategy (including all appropriate agencies of federal, state, and local governments, private and nonprofit water systems, and water system customers).
- Describing how the EEC will encourage the development of water system asset management plans that include best practices; and
- Assisting water systems, through training and technical assistance, in implementing asset management plans.
The EEC has opened a 30-day public comment period on the revised Kentucky Capacity Development Strategy DRAFT 01112021.pdf, and comments can be forwarded to Russell Neal at firstname.lastname@example.org, or to Russell Neal, Division of Water, 300 Sower Blvd, 3rd Floor, Frankfort, KY 40601.